How to get to Pécs?
You can download the offline guide with link https://shorturl.at/fgDNU
Even though Hungary has only one airport it is still an international and friendly country. You also have to know that getting her is easy by airplane but travelling by bus or train in the country might be difficult due to the language differences. Try to ask as many people as you can about the correct directions or contact ESN Pécs if you need any help. Make sure you pronounce the city name correctly. (PAYTCH)
You can use following apps and sites to get better results on planning your route
you can download the app or search in default browser with moovitapp. It has real time updates.
From the Airport
Do not be afraid if you booked your ticket to Budapest, you will manage to find your way around Hungary also. After your flight, your travel becomes a little bit tricky.
From the airport we suggest you three options to reach Pécs. Shuttle/minibus, long distance bus or train. When you get on the local bus or the metro, do not forget to validate your ticket in the validator machine which is on the vehicle.
How many tickets would you need for it? You have two options:
- You need two single tickets: One for the bus and one for the metro/Tram. (You can change the metro lines with one ticket.)
- Or you need one transfer ticket: Valid for a single trip including one transfer. You can use it first on the bus/Tram, secondly on the metro or vice versa.
- The price of the single ticket from ticket machine: 350 HUF
- The price of the single ticket from bus/Tram driver: 450 HUF
- The price of the transfer ticket from ticket machine: 530 HUF
There are ticket vending machines mostly at every stop, and it allows bank cards as well. You can buy your ticket also at the newspaper stands.
You can find the schedule for 200E from airport to Keleti pályaudvar (Keleti Railway Station) below link. You can download the app or search in default browser with moovitapp. It has real time updates.
Train – From the airport to the train station
It is recommended to check your route with this trip planner to get from airport to any place in budapest. In case of any changes route, you can see it there https://futar.bkk.hu/?layers=SVB&lang=en
Liszt Ferenc International Airport ⇒ (bus 200E) Nagyvárad tér M ⇒ (Tram 24) Keleti pályaudvar M (Keleti Railway Station)
- First you need to take the bus 200E. Its line starts from the airport and ends at Nagyvárad tér M. [14 stops] (This is the last station of bus 200E.)
- you get off the bus at last station which is Nagyvarad ter M and walk towards the (Tram 24) Keleti pályaudvar M. look at the map at the end of article
- You sit on (Tram 24) Keleti pályaudvar M and get off at the last stop which will be Keleti railway station. now walk towards the keleti station and find ticket machine to buy tickets or look for customer information on your right as soon as you enter keleti railway station.
- after getting off from Tram 24 walk straight and you will find the keleti railway station you can find the photo of it at the end of this article.
Train – From the train station to Pécs
You can travel to Pécs directly from the Keleti Train Station. If you arrive to Budapest you can approach the station easily by metro. There are more types of trains, but the fastest one in the InterCity (IC). You can catch an IC in every second hour to Pécs. You have to buy your train ticket at the station. (You can buy a ticket on the train, but you have to pay extra fee if you choose this option.)
On the InterCity, you will get two tickets. One is for the seat reservation and the other is for the travel. The conductor will check your tickets during the travel. If you have student ticket, you will be asked to show your student ID.
Total travel time: ~3-3:30h.
Ticket prices for InterCity trains:
- Full fare:
~4605 HUF - 2nd class
~5595 HUF - 1st class
With student card*
~2635 HUF - 2nd class
~3625 HUF - 1st class
You can check the train schedule and the ticket prices on this website:
From airport to Bus station
If you would like to go with long distance bus from Budapest to Pecs then following information is for you.
Liszt Ferenc International Airport ⇒ (bus 200E) Nagyvarad Ter M ⇒ Nepliget M
- First you need to take the bus 200E. Its line starts from the airport and ends at Nagyvárad Tér M. [14 stops] (This is the last station of bus 200E.)
- Get off at Nepliget bus stop and walk towards bus station (see the map below) you can catch the long distance bus from there to Pecs, the ticket can be bought from Bus driver.
Bus – From the central bus station to Pécs
You can travel to Pécs directly from the Népliget Central Station. Total travel time: ~4h.
With student card*
Between 1800-2100 HUF
Buses don’t have numbers and for more information there are information desks. But most of the time they depart from platform 8 or 9.
You can check the long distance bus schedule on this webpage (the site is in Hungarian language, but you can check the times – not the prices – easily.):
Shuttle/Minibus – From the airport to your accommodation
The easiest way from the Liszt Ferenc International Airport to Pécs for those who has huge luggage and want to avoid public transport.
For international students the price is 8500 HUF. When you reserve your place in the bus, make sure you mention that you are international student, otherwise it will cost more.
You can find more details by following this link:
In Hungary usually you can get student discount for anything. For instance: entrance fee in museums, parties or other attractions, public transport (bus pass, train ticket), etc.
- On the trains and long distance buses: if you are from an EU or EEA country you have the right to get 50% discount with student card. At the ticket office ask for student ticket.
On the student ID your name, home university, expiration date and your picture have to be visible. (If there is no picture on it, you have to show your passport or ID.) ISIC card can be used only if you obtained it at your home university and its name is on the card.
- You can get monthly pass for half price for local buses in Pécs only with your Hungarian student card. You can get it at the Registrar’s office of your faculty.
- If you are not from EU or EEA country and you do not have student card from the University of Pécs yet but you are under 26, you can get 33% youth discount FOR TRAINS in weekends and on national holidays!
- from Friday 10:00 to Sunday 24:00 (exception 7th and 14th December)
- from 22nd October 10:00 to 23rd October 24:00
- from 31st October 10:00 to 3rd November 24:00